Following are the steps required to begin the building process for your new home or addition. From planning to the completion of your home, John J. Castle will work with you to make the process stress free and enjoyable.
Develop a "Wish List"
As you begin to think about a new home or addition, we encourage you to create a wish list by gathering ideas using magazines, catalogs, TV shows and internet for inspiration. What are features you'd like in your new home or addition? How would you like to personalize your space? Also consider how you will live, entertain, and spend your holidays. Working with you, hand in hand, we will help make this wish list a reality.
Contact our Office
- Discuss your building location and site considerations
- Identify construction services required in terms of in-house design, a pre-designed home, or owner-provided architectural plans
- Schedule initial consultation with your builder
- Discuss the financing process for new home construction
- Discuss the building processes
- Define goals in terms of timing, vision, square footage requirements and budget
- Discuss preliminary design ideas and questions
- Review the preliminary designs and floor plans identifying possible alternatives
- Discuss appropriate mechanical systems for internal construction
- Establish direction for external construction including the foundation, water system, and all exterior finishes
- Refine alternate floor plans to meet your specific requirements
- Discuss desired or recommended finishes including finish carpentry, cabinetry and countertops, painting, fixtures, appliances and floor coverings
- Careful consideration of all building code requirements
- Submission of estimated construction costs including specifications (a summary of your home's features) and allowances
- Review and signing of the Construction Contract
- Submission of home plans for permitting
Once these steps are completed the building process begins! Please refer to our Services page to learn more about each stage of the building process.